- Public Works
At South Salt Lake's Public Works Department, we build, repair and maintain public infrastructure. Our work covers City streets, sewers, stormwater systems and drinking water, among many other projects. We promote sustainable infrastructure and greener habits to conserve and protect our resources through employee training, community outreach, and public education. Our trained and experienced team works hard daily to continually improve our small city.
What We Do
Our Department has several divisions, each overseeing an important aspect of the City's infrastructure. These divisions include:
We also work closely with Neighborhoods, to maintain City equipment, buildings and vehicles, and Engineering, to plan and oversee public works capital improvement projects.
- Who should I contact if I see an issue (road damage, water leak, street sign down, etc.)?
Contact the appropriate division of the Public Works Department: streets, sewer, water or waste. We rely on information provided by our residents and businesses to identify and prioritize both urgent and long-term maintenance and repair/replacement projects. If you are unsure of which division to contact, call 801-483-6045.
- Who can I contact to learn more about upcoming and ongoing projects taking place in South Salt Lake?
The Engineering Department is in charge of planning, contracting and overseeing all capital improvements projects around the city. Announcements are also regularly shared on the city website and newsletter.
- Why is my water a different color, smell or fizzy?
Routine maintenance and the addition of safe chemicals to City water can result in discoloration and “fizzy” water. This water is still safe to drink and wash with. We closely monitor our water supply 24 hours a day. If you have further concerns regarding your drinking water, please call 801-483-6014 and staff will be sent to flush additional hydrants in your area.
How You Can Help
Preserve our valuable infrastructure systems:
- Protect your pipes - only flush human waste and toilet paper
- Limit what is washed down your sinks and garbage disposal
- Protect our stormwater
Keep streets safe:
- Report missing or blocked traffic signals and signs
- Drive under the speed limit
- Respect school zones and crosswalks - every corner is a potential crossing
- Trim your landscaping so drivers can see around corners and across driveways and keep sidewalks clear
- Shovel snow from sidewalks
- Water your street trees - they slow traffic down
Keep our city clean:
- Bag your leaves and keep gutters clear
- Follow the instructions for recycling and garbage
- Pick up your pet waste