Do I need a Right-of-Way Permit?

Normal construction activity in the public right-of-way, including obstruction of the public right-of-way requires a permit (PDF) from our Engineering Department with the city of South Salt Lake. Work in the public right-of-way includes replacement or new construction of streets, sidewalks, curb and gutter, drive approaches, and utility excavations. Landscaping does not require a public right-of-way permit unless heavy equipment is used to move material. Planning approval may be required, please contact the community development department 801-483-6063.

If you need to close a city-owned street or sidewalk for any length of time, you will be required to obtain a right-of-way permit and include a Traffic Control Plan.

Do you need a dumpster or moving containers curbside? Here’s what you’ll need:

  1. A Right-of-Way Permit (PDF) is required to place a moving container or dumpster on the shoulder of the road, a fee will be charged for the length of the permit.
  2. Every moving container or dumpster must have a traffic control plan that includes placement of barricades.

Show All Answers

1. As a contractor, where can I learn about ongoing or upcoming Capital Improvement Projects?
2. Who should I contact if I see a problem with a road or building?
3. Do I need a Right-of-Way Permit?
4. Do I need a Permit for a sewer spot repair on private property?